Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Rockies

I know this view well. The brown lodges that dot this valley and the evergreens that clothe the surrounding mountains. I’ve eaten in these dining halls and touched pine cones that rest on the ground under these trees.

Mountain mornings are unlike mornings elsewhere. I love to move my hands through this air and watch the swiftness in the flight of these birds.

I’m in the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, CO. Since 96 I’ve spent a week out of every third summer here for a youth conference my family has been involved in. We set up shop just before the Christian Artists Seminar swoops in, and I’ve often overlapped my time at both. People come here for conferences, sure, but mostly I like to think they come because they are drawn here.

And I know some’ll tell me it’s the elevation...but I also like to think that I am more aware of my breathing up here because I am more aware of my aliveness. more aware of the gift i’ve been given to breath, to taste and to see.

I know some’ll tell me it’s the time change... but I like to think it’s the nearness of God’s creation that opens my eyes early in the day, to awaken me wholly.

Right now there is a baby crying, some band playing in a nearby lodge, a dog barking, and the conversation of a family sitting in the bench beside mine, but that is okay. It still feels quieter up here. Internally, anyway.

I blame the mountains. They are louder than any noise I could make.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm, there is a song waiting to be born out of this post...

Unknown said...

I agree! I'm sad to not be there this year... I've been at the last 3 and you are right. Something about the mountains and the tree line and the brook that flows along it all and the "noise" is absolutely mesmerizing. I've had some of my closest moments to God standing in your exact place. I don't know if it's because He doesn't have to reach very far down to greet you (when you are standing so high up!) or the simple "out of your ordinary day routine" that makes you pay attention, but God is so close there. It's so quiet within and simply breath taking. Oh, enjoy! Hope you're having a blast with your family!! Jess

Meredith & Eric said...

Although I know how busy it gets, we would love to see you while you are in Colorado! Give us a call if you get a second!

-Eric and Meredith

Becky Bartlett said...

ahhh... made me miss the mountains- and you!! Hope that this week blesses you all. Enjoy the views, the worship, and the wonder! tell everyone hello.

Jen said...

"Some'll"....I'm so glad that the south is rubbin' off on you, Alli! I hope ya'll are well.