Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturday Ramblings

My family are in town this weekend! 2 parents, 2 brothers, and a sister-in-law. Last night we ate mexican food and then talked until after midnight. Most of what I had to say was about Oso and all his new developments. My mom brought pictures that she took of him his first week in our home and he looks so much smaller! He was 23 pounds at the time, and now, not even 8 weeks later, he is 39 pounds!

I know that those of you who have kids are giving me that knowing smile right now because once I have children there will probably not be any Oso blogs. :) But for now, I’m enjoying it. He’s my walking partner, my daily companion, the one who hears my songs first and stays under my chair while I’m singing. We’ve become friends.

He’s currently chewing on his tail on the floor next to the couch, perfectly entertained, while I write and think and wait for the rest of the family to wake up. I’m writing because I’ve been having issues reading lately. By lately I mean, for about 8 months. I have a stack of books next to my bed and on my desk that I have started and can’t seem to finish. Which is odd, because I love to read. I just can’t focus. Off the top of my head (which isn’t always very reliable... ) The only books I’ve been able to get through in full this last year (since the summer-ish) are:

The Time Travelers Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling
Holy the Firm, Annie Dilliard
Telling Secrets, Frederick Buechner
The Pirate Who Tried to Captures the Moon, Dennis Hasley

2 of those are fiction and one is a children’s book. (sigh...)

Books that I’m still reading:

The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Michael Pollan
Eat This Book, Eugene Peterson
Too Deep For Words, Clayton J. Schmit
The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer
The Hero and the Blues, Albert Murray
The Four Loves, C.S. Lewis
Space for God, Don Postema
Lost in Wonder: Rediscovering the art of spiritual attentiveness, Esther De Waal
Potluck, Kim Thomas
French Woman Don’t Get Fat, Mireille Guiliano

Maybe it's not that I'm restless, maybe it's just that I'm finding truth in children's stories and fairy tales. Maybe it's the same part of me that is finding a friend in a dog named Oso :) That is the way I'll look at it anyway. Going to eat with the fam...

Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children. –Kahlil Gibran

1 comment:

Nelson from Garland, Texas said...

For me, about 3 a.m. is a perfect reading time. Everyone else (in the world?) is asleep, and the house is wonderfully quiet.

A cup of Starbucks, an oatmeal bar, and a good book at 3 a.m. are a hard combination to beat.

Follow that with a 6-mile run at 4:30, and you've got a pretty good way to start the day.